Your 2020 Essential home maintenance calendar
Keeping a house well maintained and free from hazards is a year-round task. The best way to avoid missing essential maintenance tasks is to follow a regular schedule. Every home is unique. Those near-to-established trees will need different maintenance to those beside the coast, but the below is a good starting point from which you can build your own annual home maintenance calendar.
Home maintenance tasks for spring
- With spring around the corner, it’s time to get rid of moss and algae that’s grown on pathways and walkways around your property. Pressure washing your patio or arranging for a professional patio cleaning service can help to avoid surfaces becoming overly slippery and hazardous.
- Spring is the perfect time to get rid of the dust and dirt of winter and say hello to the fresh, new seasonal air with a good spring clean. You could choose to carry out a spring clean yourself, but if time is tight, or you aren’t able to carry out a thorough clean of your home, Rainbow International can come out to your home and carry out a full spring clean.
Home maintenance tasks for summer
- Tend to any obvious signs of damp in your home and arrange for any roof repairs to be carried out whilst the weather is still good. If you are struggling to find the cause of any damp, Rainbow International can use a number of different leak detection solutions to help you identify exactly where the moisture is coming from.
Home maintenance tasks for autumn
- After a long summer of shoes traipsing through the house, it may be time for a good carpet clean to get rid of any dirt that’s become deeply embedded in your carpet fibres. You can clean your own carpets, but commercial carpet cleaners, like the ones that Rainbow’s carpet cleaning team use, are able to clean more effectively and extract dirt from deeper within the carpet pile than other domestic cleaners.
- Once all the leaves have fallen, it’s time for gutter clearing. By removing leaves from the gutters shortly after the last leaves have fallen, you’ll keep the gutters working effectively to channel water away from the house for the rest of the year, as well as reduce the likelihood of damp issues arising. By removing the extra weight of fallen leaves from the gutters as soon as possible, you’ll decrease the chances of guttering working its way loose and coming away from its fittings.
Home maintenance tasks for winter
- Ensure all external pipes in unheated areas are effectively lagged to avoid frozen pipes and surprise leaks.
- With the short days and long nights, you can use some of that extra time in the home to put together a home inventory. January is always a great time for new starts and a home inventory can be really useful should you ever need to call in fire or flood restoration specialists, or make a claim against your home insurance.
Rainbow International can help you with any tasks that you’re unable to carry out yourself, or to get that extra level of professionalism in your cleaning. By following a home maintenance calendar, you should substantially reduce the need for urgent remedial care, however, if you do find yourself in need of restoration following an escape of water, call our 24/7 hotline on 01624 422 488. We’re open 365 days of the year, so you’ll always be able to get help when you need it. Our knowledgeable teams will help you to deal with water damage in your home quickly and as straightforwardly as possible. With over 60 branches of Rainbow around the UK, we’re bound to have a branch near you.